Last Updated: August 18th, 2016
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we may collect information if you create an account, create or sign a petition, fill out a form, send us an email, sign up to receive updates, request information, communicate with us via third party social media sites, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we collect may include your name and contact information and other information you choose to submit to us.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Site
When you access or use our Site, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We log information about your use of the Site, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Site, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that helps us to improve our Site and your experience, see which areas and features of our Site are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as "tracking pixels"). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Site or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see "Your Choices" below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Site. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to mailing list providers and publicly available sources. We may also use such information for list matching purposes.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Site and the services we provide;
- Provide and deliver the information you request and send you related information;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your emails, comments, questions and requests and provide customer service, request feedback, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Site;
- Send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with news and information you request or that we think will be of interest to you;
- Send you reminders and information regarding elections other major political events and make suggestions about actions you can take, such as asking a question to a candidate or making an endorsement;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Site;
- Personalize your experience, such as by presenting you with petitions or other content that we believe are tailored to your interests;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of NWWA and others;
- Personalize and improve the Site;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
We are based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Site or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of NWWA, its employees, volunteers, or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of a successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of NWWA; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
If you sign a petition, your name and organizational affiliation, along with general geographic location (such as city and state) may be displayed in connection with such petition, including on the landing page for that petition and on related areas of our platform. This information will be viewable to any visitor, including the media, search engines, and other organizations that provide archival Internet activities. We also share your first and last name, email address and city with the person or entity that created the petition you have signed, even if you select the option not to display your information publicly. If you do not wish to have such information shared with the petition creator, please do not sign the petition.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
Social Sharing Features
The Site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook "Like" button). The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
For more information about Internet-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for interest-based advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
NWWA takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
You may update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to delete or deactivate your account, please email us at email@example.com, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Site.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from NWWA by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications.
Mobile Push Notifications / Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.